Monday 16 March 2015

2014 untitled series
spices stenciled onto carpet.

designing stencils
doormat 2014 (turmeric and red chilly powder).

I was particularly interested in aroma and smells and how we associate these smells with our memory.when we encounter particular  familiar smell the associated incident triggers,for instance when I smell turmeric I think of my grandmother,it also remind me of the my beautiful dress which stained. I have  modified some of the Indian and the British embroidery motifs,and have created stencils out of those patterns.These individual designs were carefully stenciled  using range of spices to make it look like a carpet.
My work can be described as embellished carpet that is adorned with scintillating spices that creates a correlation between India and the United Kingdom. Both of these elements represent one culture as so is the other. For Indians spices are part of their culture, as it dominates every aspect of their life and so is the carpet tradition in the British houses. 
My artwork aims to explain to the audience how beautiful it is to mix various cultures in various aspects of life so as to bring out the best in each of the communities involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment